Some of the most popular birds that start with the letter U are the Upland goose, Undulated antpitta, Unicolored blackbird, and Unstreaked tit-tyrant. Let’s explore a bit more about other birds that start with the letter U:
- Ultramarine flycatcher – A small, stocky flycatcher has a deep blue head, neck, and upper parts and the side faces as well as the center of the throat are white, with lines on the brows and tail.
- Ultramarine grosbeak – A type of grosbeak that is found near waters of scrubby habitats in South America.
- Uluguru greenbul – An Eastern Tanzanian passerine bird.
- Unadorned flycatcher – A passerine bird that is found in the montane forests of Peru and Bolivia.
- Undulated antpitta – A large plump-bodied antpitta with scalloped underparts.
- Undulated antshrike – A type of antbird that is found in neotropical lowland forests.
- Undulated tinamou – A medium-sized tinamou that makes a gloomy “whoo-who-who” call.
- Unicolored antwren – A Brazilian bird that is gray-colored plumage and has a black patch on the throat in males.
- Unicolored blackbird – Male species of this bird has glossy jet-black plumage while females have brown-black plumage and yellow and brown streaks on their underparts.
- Uniform antshrike – The males of this species have entirely dark gray plumage, while the females have brown feathers with dark gray faces.
- Uniform swiftlet – A medium-sized swiftlet that nests in caves.
- Unspotted saw-whet owl – A small nocturnal owl that has buff underparts, white eyebrows, and golden eyes.
- Unstreaked tit-tyrant – A small flycatcher that forages in groups or mixes with other flocks of mixed-species.
- Upland buzzard – A type of migratory raptor that has a robust body and broad wings.
- Upland goose – A type of sheldgoose that breeds and nests near the water.
- Ural owl – A large-sized owl with a yellow bill, dark eyes, no ear tufts, and is mostly active at night.
- Ursula’s sunbird – A small sunbird that is plain-faced and has a more curved bill compared to other sunbirds and is usually found in mountain forests.
- Usambara double-collared sunbird – A type of sunbird that has colorful males and drab females and is mostly found in montane forests.
- Usambara eagle-owl – A Tanzanian eagle owl that is also called the Vosseier’s eagle-owl or East African nduk eagle-owl.
- Ussher’s flycatcher – This small, plump flycatcher has dark gray plumage and darker shading on its wings and underparts.
There are a variety of birds that start with the letter U. From upland geese to Ursula’s sunbirds, these birds have unique characteristics, behaviors, and habitats. Whether you are interested in observing these birds in the wild or learning more about them, they are definitely worth exploring!
Undulated antpitta Image by: Naturalis Biodiversity Center, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Unicolored antwren Image by: Dario Sanches from São Paulo, Brazil, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Uniform swiftlet Image by: Lip Kee Yap from Singapore, Republic of Singapore, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Ussher’s flycatcher Image by: Lucas Lombardo, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons