Some of the most popular birds that start with the letter S are the serpent eagle, secretarybird, South polar skua, and swan. Let’s explore each other the birds that start with the letter S and some information about them:
- Saffron-billed sparrow – A sparrow that is named after its deep orange bill and is found in the humid forests of South America.
- Satin flycatcher – The male bird of this type has a bluish-black and white plumage, while the female has a bright orange throat.
- Scaly spurfowl – A type of spurfowl that has heavily streaked feathers.
- Secretary bird – A large, terrestrial raptor found in the Sub-Saharan regions of Africa.
- Serpent eagle – A type of eagle with a hooked beak, powerful talons, and legs adapted for preying on snakes, birds, and mammals.
- Shelduck – A type of large duck-like waterfowl that is often found in coastal areas and is distinct because of its dark-green head and short, bright orange bill.
- Shrike-like tanager – A type of small bird found in the savannas and grasslands of South America.
- Solitary sandpiper – A small wader species that are often found alone, even in migration.
- South American painted-snipe – A shorebird found in the wetland habitats of South America with a red-brown head and neck and yellow striped crown.
- South Georgia shag – A species of cormorant found in and around the subantarctic islands in the South Atlantic Ocean.
- South polar skua – A large seabird that breeds in the Antarctic continent.
- Spoon-billed sandpiper – A type of small shorebird with a spoon-like bill, listed as critically endangered by the IUCN.
- Stilt sandpiper – A migratory shorebird that often feeds in shallow water or on mudflats.
- Storm’s stork – A medium-sized stork that has a yellow skin patch around its eyes.
- Streaked saltator – A type of bird found with a distinct olive plumage with dark streaking on its underparts.
- Streaky-headed seedeater – A type of small passerine found in savannas and grasslands of South America.
- Subantarctic shearwater – A species of seabird found around New Zealand, with black upper parts and white under parts.
- Surf scoter – A type of North American sea duck that has a large body, and white patches on its head.
- Swan – A large waterfowl that is found in many parts of the world, and is known for its graceful long neck.
- Swan goose – A species of large goose that is migratory and has a distinctive white stripe that outlines its bill base.
The letter S is full of spectacular bird species from around the world, from the large and powerful serpent eagle to the graceful swan. Whether they are living in the forests of South America or the Sub-Antarctic islands, these birds are fascinating and impressive creatures that are sure to captivate any bird-lover.
Saffron-billed sparrow Image by: Dario Sanches from São Paulo, Brazil, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Scaly spurfowl Image by: https://www.flickr.com/photos/francesco_veronesi/, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons