Some of the most popular birds that start with the letter A are the African skimmer, American crow, Arnot’s chat, and Asir magpie. There are a lot of other birds that start with A, and here’s a list of some more interesting ones.
- Abbott’s booby – The endangered seabird has a sleek, black-and-white body that is easily recognizable in flight.
- Abyssinian longclaw – An Ethiopian bird that has an orange throat, and black necklace-like lining, and is often found in the grasslands.
- Abyssinian owl – A medium-sized African owl that has ear tufts, orange eyes, and brown facial disc.
- Adélie penguin – A common penguin species that is found in the Antarctic.
- Afep pigeon – A gray-colored wood pigeon that lives in the African forests.
- African blue tit – A sharp-billed bird with a blue dorsal and yellow ventral body.
- African skimmer – A long-winged waterbird with an orange beak with a yellow tip.
- Alder flycatcher – A small bird that is part of the tyrant flycatcher family which often feed on insects.
- Allen’s gallinule – A waterbird with a green back and purple upper body.
- Alpine accentor – A small brown bird that is found in the mountains of Europe.
- Amazonian streaked antwren – A small bird with streaked brown plumage that is found in the Amazon rainforest.
- American crow – A large, black bird that is found in North America.
- Amsterdam albatross – A seabird that is found in the waters around Amsterdam Island in the southern Indian Ocean.
- Aplomado falcon – A medium-sized raptor with gray and white plumage.
- Apostlebird – A dark-gray social bird that is found in woodlands in Australia.
- Aracari – Any medium-sized toucan that is part of the Pteroglossus family and is found in the rainforests of Central and South America.
- Arnot’s chat – A small, white-headed black bird that is part of the flycatcher family.
- Asir magpie – A black and white crow-like bird that is found in southwestern Saudi Arabia.
- Australian white ibis – A white-wading bird found across Australia that has a long, black downward bill.
- Azure jay – A blue bird that has a black head and chest and is found in the Atlantic forest of South America.
Many fascinating birds start with the letter A, from the small and delicate Alpine accentor to the large and loud American crow. Each one has unique characteristics that make it special. Birds that start with the letter A are as interesting as they are diverse, and they provide a glimpse into the wondrous world of avian life.
Abbott’s booby Image by: Christina Lipka, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Abyssinian owl Image by: Nina R from Africa, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Afep pigeon Image by: Tom Tarrant, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Amazonian streaked antwren Image by: Hector Bottai – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link
Arnot’s chat Image by: Lip Kee from Singapore, Republic of Singapore, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons