Some of the most popular birds that start with the letter Z are the zone-tailed hawk, Zimmer’s flatbill, the zebra dove, and the zapata rail. Here’s a bit more information about each of these avian creatures:
- Zamboanga bulbul – A type of songbird that is found in the Philippines.
- Zanzibar red bishop – The breeding males of this bird have spectacular red-orange upperparts and black underparts.
- Zapata rail – A Cuban ground-living bird that has short wings that are deemed almost flightless.
- Zapata sparrow – A medium-sized sparrow that is found in Cuba.
- Zappey’s flycatcher – A songbird that has blue upperparts and white underparts, similar to the blue-and-white flycatcher.
- Zarudny’s sparrow – A small sparrow that has gray upperparts, black bib, and lore.
- Zebra dove – A species of dove that has brown-gray plumage with heavy black-and-white barring.
- Zebra finch – A seedeater bird that is classified into two species; the Sundra zebra find and the Australian zebra finch.
- Zeledon’s antbird – The antbird has pale blue skin around its eyes, and the males and females can be distinguished by their plumages.
- Zenaida dove – A dove that has a white trailing edge in its wings and is obvious when in flight.
- Zenker’s honeyguide – A species of honeyguide found in Central Africa.
- Zigzag heron – A heron species found in South America.
- Zimmer’s flatbill – A flycatcher that is found in humid forests of Central America and South America.
- Zimmer’s tapaculo – A passerine bird that has a distinctive white throat and is usually found in the humid montane forests of Argentina and Bolivia.
- Zimmer’s tody-tyrant – A small flycatcher that has brown-olive upperparts, olive underparts with brown streaks, and two yellow wing bars.
- Zimmer’s woodcreeper – A woodpecker that has a slim body, streaked head, and underparts.
- Zino’s petrel – A long-winged seabird that has a conspicuous dark “W” marking across the wings.
- Zitting cisticola – A type of warbler that has brown upperparts and is heavily streaked.
- Zoe’s imperial pigeon – A large pigeon that is found in the forests of New Guinea.
- Zone-tailed hawk – A medium-sized hawk that is distinguished by its long tail that has white bars.
There is a wide variety of birds that start with the letter Z. From the strikingly colored Zanzibar red bishop to the small Zimmer’s flatbill, these birds are sure to bring variety and interest to any bird enthusiast.
Zanzibar red bishop Image by: DickDaniels (http://carolinabirds.org/), CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Zigzag heron Image by: TonyCastro, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Zimmer’s tody-tyrant Image by: Hector Bottai, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons