Some of the most popular birds that start with the letter D are dusky pigeons, dolphin gulls, doves, and dodos. There are a lot of different species of birds that start with the letter D, with different colors and characteristics.
- Dalmatian pelican – The largest member of the pelican family and also one of the heaviest birds that can fly.
- Darjeeling woodpecker – A woodpecker that has distinctive yellow feathers on the sides of its head.
- Dark-backed wood quail – A type of quail that has chestnut brown feathers.
- Dark-billed cuckoo – A type of cuckoo that is found in South America and mostly eats insects.
- Darwin’s flycatcher – A species of small passerine bird found in the Galapagos Islands.
- Diamond firetail – A small and active finch native to Australia and known for its bright red rump.
- Des Murs’s wiretail – An ovenbird that has narrow tails.
- Dodo – A now-extinct flightless bird that was native to the island of Mauritius.
- Dolphin gull – A seabird that has grayish feathers and eats carrion and mollusks.
- Dot-winged antwren – A small species of antbirds native to the tropical forests of South America.
- Double-banded pygmy tyrant – A small flycatcher that is found in Columbia, Brazil, Ecuador, and other parts of South America.
- Double-striped thick-knee – A wader that has distinct yellow eyes and makes the ‘kee-kee-kee’ sound.
- Dove – A type of bird that is known for its soft, cooing call and stout bodies.
- Downy woodpecker – A small species of woodpecker with a barred black and white pattern on its back and white spotting on its wings.
- Drab water tyrant – A species of passerine bird found in rivers, wetlands, and streams across South America.
- Dunlin – A small wader bird that is found in the Northern Hemisphere and migrates south during winter.
- Dusky eagle-owl – A species of ear-tufted owl that is found in South and Southeast Asia.
- Dusky grouse – A species of grouse found in the Rocky Mountains and other temperate parts of North America.
- Dusky pigeon – A medium-sized gray pigeon found in South America.
- Dusky-headed brush finch – A species of finch native to South Colombia and has yellow plumage
Delightful birds can be found all around the world. From dodos to dusky pigeons and doves, there is a wide variety of bird species that start with the letter D. All these birds have diverse colors, sizes, and interesting characteristics that make them unique. If you’re looking for birds that start with the letter D, there’s a lot to explore!
Dalmatian pelican Image by: Жанетта Багаджиян, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Darwin’s flycatcher Image by: Thomas O’Neil, Tgo2002 at English Wikipedia, CC BY 2.5, via Wikimedia Commons
Double-banded pygmy tyrant Image by: Hector Bottai, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Dusky eagle-owl Image by: J.M.Garg, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Dusky-headed brush finch Image by: Ron Knight from Seaford, East Sussex, United Kingdom, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons